Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:08:48 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to use cdrecord

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:47:35AM +0800, Aiza wrote:
> Chris Hill wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Aiza wrote:
> >=20
> > [snip]
> >> tried cdrecord -v speed=3D2 dev=3Dacd0 blank=3Dfast
> >> gives this error "Open by devname not supported on this OS.
> >>
> >> What device am i to use?
> >=20
> > cdrecord wants to see your ATA burner as a SCSI device, so you'd use
> >   cdrecord dev=3D1,0,0 ...
> > The numbers after dev=3D depend on where your burner is; find it using
> >   cdrecord -scanbus
> >=20
> > HTH.
> >=20
> cdrecord -scanbus gives a error. Invalid argument. Camiocommand ioctl=20
> failed, can not open scsi driver

You need SCSI emulation for your burner in your kernel. Specifically, you n=
eed
to recompile your kernel with the following devices in its configuration fi=
le:

    device          atapicam        # emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ditto v=
ia CAM
                                    # needs CAM to be present (scbus & pass)
    # SCSI peripherals
    device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
    device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
    device          cd              # CD
    device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI acces=
s)

See the manual pages atapicam(4), scbus(4), cd(4) and pass(4).

It could be that these devices are also available as modules, but I've alwa=
ys
build a custom kernel, so I don't know about that. The manual pages don't s=
ay
that they are available as modules, so I'm inclined to say they are not.

After rebuilding the kernel, which you'll find documented in Chapter 8 of t=
he
Handbook, you also need to give your user-id write access to the right
devices. I have done that by creating a group "cdrom", to which I've added =
my
user-id (with 'pw groupmod -m'). Then I've put the following lines in my
/etc/devfs.conf:

    # Give members of group cdrom access to the CD/DVD-ROM and DVD+RW via t=
he
    # SCSI interface
    own     xpt0    root:cdrom
    perm    xpt0    0660
    own     cd0     root:cdrom
    perm    cd0     0660
    own     cd1     root:cdrom
    perm    cd1     0660
    link    cd1     cdrom
    link    cd1     dvd

Since I've got both a burner and a regular DVD player in my machine, you see
two cd devices but only one xpt device.

Additionally, the following has been added to my standard ruleset in /etc/d=
evfs.rules:

    [slackbox=3D10]
    add path 'pass*' mode 0660 group cdrom

And in /etc/rc.conf the following is added;

    devfs_system_ruleset=3D"slackbox"

I've put the pass device in devfs.rules because it will attach to every SCSI
device that attaches to the system, _even if they are added after booting_
like e.g. USB disks used with the da(4) driver.

Hope this helps.

Roland
--=20

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99