Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:46:50 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, Mauro Dias <localhost@dsgx.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd exploit

At 12:39 AM 11/29/2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>Not so much with the Flying Fists of Fud, please Brett.  If you'd
>actually read the CERT advisory you'd see quite clearly that it was
>fixed over a year ago.

I've read the CERT advisory and also Dittrich's paper. The fact
that a vulnerability was fixed in recent versions of the software
does not mean that we should be unconcerned.

>Dittrich's analysis also says clearly at the top:
>
>On October 6, 2001, intruders originating from network blocks in the
>Netherlands used an exploit for the crc32 compensation attack detector
>vulnerability to remotely compromise a Red Hat Linux system on the UW
>network running OpenSSH 2.1.1.  This vulnerability is described in
>CERT Vulnerability note VU#945216:
>
>i.e. old, old, boring, old.

I've noticed that there's a tendency, among people who keep on the
cutting edge, either to forget that there are likely to be a very large
number of people running older and/or unpatched systems or to sneer at
those people. We should not do that. One of the strengths of BSD UNIX
is that it's appliance-like; you can install it and it JUST RUNS. We
shouldn't mock people who take advantage of that strength and may not
have heard that they have a need to install a patch or upgrade.

In short, the vulnerability may be old, but it's not boring. The effects
of an automatic exploit could be devastating.

What's more, we do not know whether the binary exploit that's now being
distributed across the Net is for this or some other vulnerability.
As Security Officer, have you run the exploit against 4.4-RELEASE to
see how it behaves and if 4.4-RELEASE is immune? This is important, since
without a disassembly we do not know whether the exploit attacks this
vulnerability or a different (possibly related?) one. We also do not know
if the claimed fix was fully effective against all possible exploits.

--Brett