Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:49:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        sachs@interactive.net, ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: [2.1.5] swapped a mounted cdrom; now what?

> I boneheadedly swapped the freebsd disc in my CD player with an audio
> CD while the cdrom was still mounted. Well, now even after replacing
> the data CD, I can't:
>
>   unmount it, even w/ "-f"
>   remount it
>
> I get the error
>    mount_cd9660: /dev/scd0a: Input/output error
> on both. (And of course I can't play an audio CD).
>
> Is a reboot the only recourse here?
>
> -jay

 Wow!  What a coincedence.  I just did exactly the same thing
 yesterday and got the same results!

 I tried everything I could, but wound up rebooting.

 I think the problem can also occur if you're playing an audio
CD and open the player... particularly for CD-ROMs like mine
that don't report the fact that the lid is open (mine is an
extern NEC 3xP.)

	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. I've moved this thread from freebsd-questions to freebsd-hackers.
	Perhaps it should go to -bugs?