Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> >         I meant real use as i.e. all the workstations are connected and
> > the cable is transfering data.  Not just during the time period of
> > installing but throughout the use of the cables life.
>
> More machines on the segment shouldn't make any difference, so long as the
> cable going from the machine to the hub meets the spec. it should be OK...

	I never said adding more machines.  I am just saying that you
tested the stuff before the cable is connected between the two devices.
Unless you test the cable while the two devices are using the cable, you
wouldn't really know the properties of the cable after use since magnetic
energy does build up when there is current flowing through the cable for a
period of time.

> > > A 2gb file? - You could always FTP it from here? <g>
> >
> >         Hehe, wonder how long that will take <g>
>
> Too long... :)

	Just what I thought! =)

> > > Yes, it would!... We (as in Unix) have the free Pascal compiler, which
> > > supports most (if not all) of the Sysutils unit, but it's a long way from
> > > being able to run on the bosses Windows desktop :-)
> >
> >         Hehe, maybe some convincing would work :-)
>
> I've tried that already - I've emailed Borland/Inprise - and got a lot of like
> minded friends to email them... As far as I can remember they said they were
> aware of the demand for a Unix version (no mention of FreeBSD :) - but weren't
> planning anything at the moment...

	I wonder which Unix they would actually support first,

> I got the same from the VMWare people - I got at least 20 people to email
> them, the replies slowly went from "No plans" through to "We're aware of the
> demand, but we're looking to make the Linux version stable [etc.] before
> moving to other platforms" back to the "Will not be developed for FreeBSD"...
> :(

	Yeah, that's the problem.  It's like FreeBSD is the high-end OS
while Linux is like the Mass-Market OS much like Microsoft is, just in
another way. :(

> > > Not that the boss is best friends with Windows at the moment (it crashes his
> > > machine about twice a day, and that's even under NT :-)
> >
> >         Haha, I'm sure he's a frequent audience of the Blue Screen of
> > Death too :-)
>
> No, his machine just goes comatose... You start having to kill things with
> Task manager, that fails - so you have to reboot... My WinNT machine does
> blue-screen on a regular basis. The terminal I setup next to my NT box
> (running FreeBSD 2.2.5) is still going strong after 600 days uptime though...

	Haha, I experience that problem with Win98 since even with 128
megs of RAM... it runs out of system resources...

> I'm reluctant to take it down to upgrade (if it ain't broke [for what you do]
> don't fix it?)

	Yeah but I would generally upgrade just for the bug and security
fixes =)

> Says a lot... :)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]