Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:47:41 +0100
From:      Ben Gray <ben.r.gray@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beagleboard stuff

Hi all,

     Just an update on some of the work I've done on the
Beagleboard/Pandaboard in case someone finds it useful ...

     I've done a rework of the pmap changes I made for ARMv7, the old
work was a bodge and was really just so I could get the kernel up for
writing device drivers.  My newly modified pmap code is also a bodge :),
but I've tried to tidy up a lot of my changes and I've gone down the
route of providing static inline functions (could be converted to
macros) for manipulating the individual PTEs.  Besides these changes
I've added an extension for Cortex-A9 which allows you to map pages as
either "device" or "strongly ordered", this is needed for SCU registers
set mapping on the omap44xx devices. For this I added a new PTE_? type,
i.e. PTE_NOCACHE, PTE_CACHED, PTE_PAGETABLE and now PTE_DEVICE.

     I've also reworked the device initialisation code to be more like
the AT91 tree, i.e. there is a base omap device which then has SoC
specific children, like omap35xx, omap44xx, etc.  I started doing this a
couple of weeks ago when I first got my Pandaboard, but since then I
haven't had much time to work on it.  On that note, I've got my
Pandaboard starting to boot but I haven't ported the MMC or ECHI drivers
yet so can't mount a rootfs.  I'm hoping to get these done reasonably
soon and moving on to the interesting stuff of hacking in MPCore support :).

     Once I get the basic Pandaboard support up and running I'll update
the code on googlecode, right now it's all a bit of a mess.

Thanks,
Ben.