Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:00:09 +0100
From:      Frederique Rijsdijk <frederique@isafeelin.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using HDD's for ZFS: 'desktop' vs 'raid / enterprise' -edition drives?

Charles Richards wrote:
> If his data (photo / video storage) is that important, then perhaps he
> wants to do soemthing else ... but for a cheap way to get tons of
> storage, ZFS can't be beat.

Of course I'm backing up the very important data on a daily basis (de
photo's mainly), but the videos (which will take up the biggest part of
course) are not critical. I just want a huge volume to store it on. If
some sort of redundancy can be built into that, that's very nice. I've
been using GEOM (gconcat) so far, but I'd like to move to ZFS due to
it's ease of use (apart from tuning your system to it) and also because
GEOM is not able to provide any raid5-like setups. Just raid3 or mirror.

> ZFS has got it's caveats and gotchas - you *must* tune your FreeBSD
> installation to get stability.
>
> See here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide

I was aware of that, I'll look in to it.

> I'm running a fileserver-in-a-closet (patent pending) on FreeBSD
> 7.0-amd64, with 10x250GB drives in a single RAIDZ2 for my home storage
> needs.
>
>  I'm using old Maxtor SATA150 drives, which are "desktop" class.
> Several of them have had to remap sectors while being a part of the
> array, and I've never had ZFS complain, nor had the drive be "dropped"
> by the OS.

Ok that's good information. I also read/noticed that ZFS seems to run
best on AMD64 platforms. That's OK then. I'm running i386 now, but I'm
happy to switch.

> I'd suggest that the OP and yourself do some in-depth reading about
> ZFS and how it works. The best documentation I've found as yet is here:
> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/ondiskformat0822.pdf

Will do, thanks again.

-- FR