Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:02:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com, nate@yogotech.com
Subject:   Re: libc shlib version

asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) wrote:
> I really wish we could keep the two version numbers from a.out, so I
> don't have to worry about stuff like this. :<

 You can, if you will accept some restrictions:

  Let's say the two numbers are the Version number and the Revision number.

  And, let's furthermore say we will restrict ourselves to only 99
 revisions per Version.

  Then; let the Elf library number be:
	(100 * Version number)  +  Revision number

  *poof*  two numbers...

  i.e.  library version 10.20 would get 1020 as the Elf version number.

 (if 99 revisions are not enough, restrict it to, say, 999.)

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                         Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com