Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:33:39 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Greg McPherran" <sw2@mediaone.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Your Mascot

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Greg McPherran
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 7:51 AM
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Your Mascot

Hello,

>I'm Greg McPherran. I am a software engineer - 17 years. I'm all for FreeBSD
>and am considering installing it. I advise you to use a different mascot
>besides the little daemon. It's not good marketing.

Note that I'm cc'ing this to Advocacy - this discussion properly belongs on
that mailing list, not on Questions.  Please followup there.

FreeBSD is NOT a commercial operating system.  Nobody here DIRECTLY benefits
by increased use of FreeBSD.  Many people INDIRECTLY benefit - but we have our
own projects to market and we are going to prioritize what marketing efforts
that we are going to spend on the companies and organizations and projects
that directly pay us money.

There is NO requirement that anyone selling commercial products or services
that are based on FreeBSD use the mascot.

If your planning on installing FreeBSD then great - but you should also read a
bit about UNIX history.  The demon logo has a history that started a long time
ago.  The fact that you even noticed it at all and felt the need to comment
proves that it's doing it's job.  If you know anything about advertising you
know what I'm talking about.

>Also, you could spif up your web site and really make it fancy. This will
>attract people to FreeBSD.

Unfortunately, your deluded here that putting a lot of spiffy things on a
website will attract people to FreeBSD.  There is not a single study with any
credibility out there in Marketing-Land that shows that a spiffy website has
attracted new sales prospects.

The idea that just slapping a fancy website on the Internet will make people
beat a path to your door is a bankrupt idea and all the Dot-Com's that thought
this are bankrupt.  If anything, the Internet has even more conclusively
proven the need for narrowly targeted advertising and marketing.  The Internet
has not and most likely never will be a targeted marketing venue the way that
radio, television and periodicals are.

If anything, spiffy websites are usually created by people that think that
spiffiness means a lot of graphics.  Graphics that are large and take a long
time to transfer.  Studies have shown that people get impatient with a web
page that takes longer than 14 seconds to load and will often cancel the page
load and go elsewhere.  Since the majority of people viewing webpages on the
Internet are using 56K modems, 14 seconds at 56K does not give you a very big
window to get your entire page transferred to the remote end.  If you want to
make it, you had better be running a very minimalist site.

> As  Microsoft knows very well, it's not just the >quality of the product -
>it's the presentation. FreeBSD is far superior to >Windows in many ways. Why
>not get the attention you deserve by marketing >yourselves much better?

When I go to http://www.microsoft.com I don't see a very "spiffy" website, I
see a front page that's mainly text.  In fact it's layout and the layout of
http://www.freebsd.org are virtually identical, the only difference is that
the FreeBSD website uses a lot of Red, the Microsoft website uses a lot of
Blue.  I suppose if your favorite color is Blue than the Microsoft site might
have an advantage.  Hey - maybe that's why Novell isn't doing so well these
days! :-)