Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:15:22 +0100
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-x11" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: drm MSI support

--nextPart2685156.tb335VYxJ5

--Boundary-01=_ax68ItxY9F8vm17

On Monday 13 October 2008 18:26:53 you wrote:
> > It doesn't seem to break anything. Don't forget we're not supposed to be
> > using glxgears or any of the demos as benchmarks - case in point: I can
> > remember getting framerates of 12,000+ in glxgears on a 9000 Pro a while
> > ago on 5.x, which suggests to me that this number is almost meaningless.
> > Sadly, the Unix variant of GLExcess does not include benchmark
> > functionality as does it's Win32 counterpart, so I am unable to
> > extrapolate performance data by running it. Even timing it to completion
> > doesn't help as it doesn't run with the fastest speed possible (it's
> > controllable with the A and Z keys). All I run it for is to ensure that
> > GL doesn't bomb or fall back to software rendering on the range of
> > operations glxs requires. Perhaps I ought to install the linuxulator and
> > slam Doom3 on there to run a timedemo to test this stuff?
>
> Very true, gears is not a benchmark... =A0I know anholt used to suggest
> that things like that were more suited to be real world benchmarks.

The only trouble is that Doom3 doesn't want to run (and I did catch the fac=
t=20
it doesn't install graphics/linux_dri as a dep, probably because this destr=
oys=20
linuxulator functionality with the nvidia-driver port). Log attached, but t=
he=20
bottom line is it's throwing out a libGL warning and falling back to softwa=
re=20
rendering :( It is also not picking up the correct amount of video RAM from=
=20
the system (should be 256MB).

I'll try to find something else, preferably native, that I can benchmark wi=
th.
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson

matt@chronos.org.uk