Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 1997 21:44:06 +0000
From:      Fabrice Aneche <aneche@ariscom.com>
To:        Sudheer Tumuluru <ts1@cise.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error message login_getclass: unknown class 'root'  End

Sudheer Tumuluru wrote:

> Hi,
>         I have recently installed FreeBSD-2.2.2-RELEASE on my PC. I keep
> getting this strange error message on the xconsole periodically:
>
> "Jul  1 12:17:18 <hostname> inetd[12865]: login_getclass: unknown class
> 'root'."
>
>         Is there any way to rectify this problem? Are there any files which I
> should modify?

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT

jkh@time-> more ERRATA.TXT
Last minute errata:
-------------------

o login as root produces "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'" on
system
  console.

Fix:  If you have the source distribution installed, simply
      cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc
      otherwise, mount the 2nd CDROM and copy it from the live
filesystem
      (cp /cdrom/usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc) instead.

o sysconfig scrambles rc.conf if run again.

Fix:  Get updated /usr/src from RELENG_2_2 branch and build
      /usr/src/release/sysinstall, copying the new binary to /stand.

      If you do not have enough space for src then you could also
      use the boot/fixit floppy combo from a later 2.2-YYMMDD-RELENG
      release to simply mount your root partition (using the Fixit
      option) and copy /stand/sysinstall from the floppy to /stand on
      your root fs.

It will end your problems.

Fabrice