Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:14:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Cc:        ponds!root.com!dg
Subject:   another dup alloc panic.

Just F.Y.I. - my news server (a 386-dx; 8meg, IDE) machine has
now re-entered the daily dup-alloc panic...

Given the information I was able to discern from my test machine
(a 386-dx; 8meg SCSI (aha1542B)) - after yesterday's panic, I had
simply cleared the offending inode (inode #270680, in this case).
Thinking that it had not been newfs'd properly and contained
trash.

This morning's panic was inode #177593.  (Certainly doesn't
seem to be one that would fall on any inodes/group boundary)
I'll clear that one and hope for the best.

However, when I did the fsck on that file system; two files were
associated with that inode - so, it probably was, in fact, already
allocated...  Maybe the allocation structure is sorta messed up and
it's picking up random bits somewhere...  I'm beginning to believe
some randomness (along the lines of an uninitilized variable) is
part of the problem here...

	- Dave Rivers -