Date:               Fri, 4 Aug 1995 00:14:29 -0800
From:      "Jim Howard" <jiho@sierra.net>
To:        dyson@root.com, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:         Re: 2.0.5 Eager to go into swap

dyson@root.com says:

> I suspect that part of the reason for the varied performance reports
> has partially to do with disk performance among other things.
> Paging performance depends very highly on your disk performance
> and there is almost no way around that simple fact!!!

One area in which FreeBSD has absolutely nothing to fear is
performance.  It runs circles around everything I've ever had on this
machine, including DOS (although that by a lesser margin than the
others).

In fact, I was shocked when I discovered the paging that was going on
with X, because I hadn't noticed it from the performance!  The first
performance problem caused by swapping was when I ran out of swap
space, and a program got shut down on me!  I actually considered the
possibility that this was some kind of bogus reporting by swapinfo, some
kind of "virtual paging" or something.  It was hard to believe.

Linux did a similar amount of paging and likewise ran out of swap
space, but its disk access was so much slower that the thrashing was
rather evident.

I have a fairly fast SCSI drive (Micropolis 4110), but a ridiculously old SCSI
adapter (Adaptec 1542B) that really gets in its way, and a 486DX/33
with 128 KB cache and 8 MB of DRAM, so we're not looking at high-end
hardware.

But I take issue with the (implied) notion that somehow if better
hardware will patch things up, that means whatever the software is
doing is alright.  Frankly, I'm appalled at the unquestioning acceptance
people express for X's in-core profile.  Not everything is relative, you
know.

In any case, I seem to have stirred up so much dust here that I'm now very,
very confused about where the line is between X and the FreeBSD kernel,
in terms of responsibility for X sessions overrunning physical RAM.
I don't know if it's your malloc() routine, or your shared library
management, or something haywire in the way pages are allocated or
recorded or reported, or just X and its clients requesting crazy amounts
of memory.

Enough wild statments have been tossed around that I know I won't rest
until I've rummaged into the code in search of answers....

--Jim Howard