Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:58:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        grant@thenetnow.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DUMP

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone explain how the DUMP levels work? I understand that 0 is a full
> FS dumo, but what does 1, 2, 3, 4 etc etc etc stand for?

Basically, yes, '0' is a full dump.  Level '1' is everything that has
changed since the last level '0' dump.  Level '2' is everything that
has changed since the last level '1' or lower number dump, etc.
We generally just do level '0' weekly and '1' the rest of the days
and don't bother with the other levels.  But, our change dumps tend
to be rather small, so it isn't a problem.

> Is it possible to use dump to clone a filesystem from one PC to another?

Yes, if the two machines are running the same OS.  The dump file has
to be read on the same OS as it was written.  (Sometimes even the OS
version level can make a difference if there were changes in filesystem
structure between versions)

If the two systems are running the same OS (for example FreeBSD >3.0)
then it is probably the best way to transfer the full file system.
NOTE, that it is not strictly a clone.  You first have to build the
filesystem on the other machine (newfs, maybe even fdisk and disklabel, etc)
and the inode numbers will most likely not come out the same, but
normally that doesn't matter to you.

If the two OSes are different, you will have to resort to tar or
something.   If you really really really want a CLONE you will
want to check out using dd.

////jerry