Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:51:52 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New libc malloc patch

--nextPart3804233.csohxlyASA

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:48, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20051130111017.GA67032@galgenberg.net>, Ulrich Spoerlein writ=
es:
> >I just read that mmap() part and have to wonder: Is it possible to
> >introduce something like the guard pages that OpenBSD has implemented?
> >I'd love to try this out and see the dozens of applications that fail
> >due to off-by-one bugs.
>
> Guard-pages are very expensive and that is why I have not adopted
> OpenBSD's patch.
>
> I would advocate that people use one of the dedicated debugging malloc
> implementations (ElectricFence ?) instead of putting too much overhead
> into our default malloc.

Electric fence is right. Although it IS slow, an order of magnitude or more=
=20
usually. Also if you do use it you'll probably have to bump up the=20
vm.max_proc_mmap sysctl or it will fail to allocate memory.

Another good one is valgrind (and it detects more problems to boot :)

> For all practical purposes, the options J, A, X & Z are the most commonly
> used.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum