Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:21:54 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ssh to remote machines problem after cvsup

> Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:09:29 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Jay Sachs wrote:
>
> > There are those of us who consider the protocol switch a good change,
>
> So you are free to do that on your systems. The problem is, whether you
> think it's a good idea or not, it's already catching people by surprise,
> and locking them out of their systems. The change should be reverted.

Doug,

This was discussed on stable (admittedly a bit late in the game) and
every comment I saw favored making the change in Stable. An entry was
made in UPDATING to warn people of the change.

From a security standpoint alone the change is justified as protocol
V1.5 has long required kludges to work around its problems while V2
was much more carefully crafted from the ground up and has no known
problems. I am only talking about the protocol and no particular
implementation.

People should really be using V2 protocols in all cases except where
remote systems still don't support it. (And, do you REALLY want to
connect to those systems?)

I will admit that I had pretty much converted everything of mine to
use V2 long before this came up, so this really didn't have an
impact on me.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)