Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 11:39:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@racer.dkrz.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   960501-SNAP: data corruption reading /dev/rwt0 (Wangtek)

The details are still a bit fuzzy, but maybe someone has seen this
already and can give me a hint before I spend countless hours of
hunting.  Here is what I see:

I got an old Wangtek QIC-150 tape device a couple of weeks ago, while
still running 2.1.0-RELEASE on my old (386DX/40, 8MB) machine.  It
seemed to work flawlessly.

One week ago I got a new PC (586/100, 32MB, ASUS T2P4), and tried to
install 960501-SNAP from tape.  Turned out most of the files read from
tape were corrupted, so the installation would abort after unpacking
one or two files of the first dist.  I switched to the shell on VT4
and tried to untar the tape manually, then cat | zcat | cpio -itv to
check if I could read the pieces.  The tar finished without an error
indication, but typically the zcat would abort readily, so I could
only list a few files from the archive.

I untarred the same tape a couple of times, trying different block
sizes on the tar command.  Eventually (using a blocking count of 16) I
could read the tape without corruption, and could install the snap.

Now with the snap loaded and running flawlessly, I want to read my
backups from tape (cpio -H crc format), but again I am getting data
corruption.  When I look at the files extracted, they look fine up to
a certain point where they just contain binary zeroes.  I have again
played with different block sizes for reading the tape, but this time
I cannot find a block size that works.  Different block sizes do move
the point of corruption within the archive, however, so I can be quite
sure the tape was written o. k..

Any ideas?

Georg