Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:44:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Clock slew vulnerability in FreeBSD?

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> How vulnerable is FreeBSD to the recently announced technique for
> individually identifying computers by the clock slew apparent in TCP
> packets?  If it is vulnerable to this, will there be any plans to
> address the vulnerability?
>
> --
> Anthony

I finally read the paper (instead of just reading the abstract), and I
must say that it's a lot more interesting than I would have expected it to
be.

Defeating this technique would be relatively easy to do, but there are a
lot of other much easier ways to identify FreeBSD machines right now.
Once those are fixed, then this can be worried about.  (For example, we
send the same TCP timestamps to all hosts right now; no need to measure
clock skew!)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack