Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:36:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Bart <bart@no-x.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ping OK, daemons dead ?

Hi!

Every 2 weeks or so one of my FreeBSD machines goes dead,
it is still responding to ping (< 2 ms) but Apache,
SSH, Telnet, FTP, etc are not responding any more. It
happens out of the blue while the load is probably
as low as usual (load on the machine is
never very high (0.08 0.07 0.06)).
What could be the reason of that ? (I'm still using
a RealTek NIC (and I know that this NIC really sucks
and want to replace it with a 100mbit 3com or Intel)).

I'm also looking for a way to prevent this kind
of situations; is it possible to use a script/program
which reboots the machine after 12 hours of no
activity of some kind of daemon (or login).

With regards,
Bart Pustjens