Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:58:01 -0700
From:      Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   deprecated ports

I see there's been another few batch commits deprecating some
unmaintained ports where "upstream is gone and/or distfile is no longer
available."

Maintainers and prospective maintainers should be sure to look at the
ports listed in these commits.  I don't think much effort was made to
check the availability of the distfiles.  Instead, it seems that all
that was done was to try the MASTER_SITES, etc. from the port Makefiles,
and if the fetch failed, onto the list they went.

NOTE: I'm NOT saying the committers' procedure was too lazy or anything
like that.  There are a lot of these broken ports in the tree, and
deprecation seems like a reasonable step to take -- especially if the
result is to trigger some action from people who want to see these ports
retained.

I just rescued one of these, sysutils/lookat, that was deprecated a few
days ago.  I followed the WWW link in the pkg-descr, found that the
author's website was still up and that the distfile could still be
downloaded -- but the download url had changed.  So all the port needed
was a tweak to the MASTER_SITES.

Today I see that the fairly popular graphics/gimpshop has also been
deprecated.  Here the WWW link from pkg-descr also fails, but a quick
websearch found the new (?) official website for this app:
http://www.gimpshop.com, where the distfile is available for download.
So here's another one that can be easily rescued.

And I'll bet there are more.