Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:50:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
To:        Jack Winslade <jsw@cywub.sitel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-R nightly panic on news server whilst running expire.

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Jack Winslade wrote:

> 2. About once a week on average (high variance), the box will
> spontaneously reboot.  It sometimes happens during the daily processing
> which runs late evening, but I've seen it in the morning as well.  We'll
> be moving this to a larger capacity box RSN, with 3.x and the latest INN,
> so if it keeps recurring then, I may troubleshoot more.  Right now it's
> kind of a minor annoyance.

I was rather hoping, someone wouldn't say that. This Apricot server can't
reboot itself. It couldn't under NT either. It just hangs. Thus I just
can't live with any reboots. I know this ain't ideal for a service
machine, but a decent box really shouldn't be expected to reboot that much
(and it's easily accessible for a manual reboot). I can just see the
meeting now; Boss - "But it worked fine under NT. What's wrong with
FreeBSD?" :(
  Does anyone have any pointers as to what I can try to keep this box up?
It does seem pretty much linked to the expire process. If I disable expire
then the box stays up. I'm guessing expire is paging back into RAM parts
of INN that aren't generally in use, but this isn't being done properly.
The system is getting an upgrade from 96MB to 384MB of RAM soonish, so
maybe that'll help this problem. However, that still isn't ideal.
  Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)