Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:46:59 -0800
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@be.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Anyone tried VirtualPC with FreeBSD?

Just for fun, I tried to boot FreeBSD 2.2.2 from within the VirtualPC
emulator for MacOS, which claims to simulate a full Intel Pentium PC at
the hardware level.  It can run unmodified version of Windows 95, NT,
OS/2, and NextStep, and so I assumed it wouldn't have much trouble with
FreeBSD.

Unfortunately, immediately after loading the kernel, FreeBSD panicked with
this error:

Fatal trap 1:  privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode

instruction ptr = 0x8:0xf01b99aa
stack ptr  = 0x10:0xefbfff38
frame ptr = 0x10:0xefbfff50
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
	= DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 1, grant
process eflags = IOPL = 0
current process = 0 ()
interrupt mask = net tty bio
panic: privileged instruction fault

Obviously, this is a bug in Connectix's CPU emulator.  But I'm curious if
anyone could give any information off-hand as to what they might be doing
wrong that would trigger such an error from the FreeBSD kernel.

Thanks,
Jake Hamby