Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:03:17 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@dustdevil.waterspout.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synchronizing two (or more) machines over the network

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 02:38:19PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Does anyone have a good method for keeping two machines absolutely
> identical-but-for-a-few-symlinks that works reliably and securely over
> the network?  I have looked at rdist6, but it doesn't understand file
> flags.  (NFS is out of the running, since it is neither reliable nor
> secure.)  Are there any other options that people have found to their
> liking?

I've been whining for quite some time that rdist should use
/usr/bin/install to do its dirty work.  This would fix flags flags,
owner, group, and other "lacking" remote install options of note
in rdist.

Rdist shouldn't know how to "install" files when install(1) already
knows how to do it better.  At the very least it should be abstracted
into a library that install and other programs can use.

We use rdist extensively at Purdue to do software distributions,
and flags/owner/group support have been aggrivating me for quite
some time now.  Perhaps I'll fix it.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn                          URL: http://www.waterspout.com/