Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:13:04 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "Gail M. Pickett" <gmpicket@icx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and Intel 810 chipset

"Gail M. Pickett" wrote:

> I just bought a desktop computer that has an Intel 810 chipset and I am
> having trouble setting up XFree86.  I updated to the newly released version
> 3.3.6 which says it supports the Intel 810 chipset (video driver), but I
> have been unable to make the thing fly.
>
> The info from XFree86.org says that it includes support, but it is not
> enabled by default as it needs kernel module.  What does that mean?
>
> In the configuration notes (for the 810 chipset) they say that it is
> necessary to install the "agpgart.o" module which accompanies the server.
> I have been unable to find this file.  When I find it, how do I compile it?

You should have posted your question to -hardware instead of -mobile...

You are out of luck. The XFree86 driver for the i810's graphics controller
needs a kernel module (agpart.o). The sources for this module are
included with the XFree86 source distribution, but that kernel
module is Linux-specific. In other words: XFree86 3.3.6 does not
support the i810's graphics controller under FreeBSD.

I don't know whether someone is porting that kernel module (if that
is possible at all) to FreeBSD.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071