Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:37:21 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        rich@rdrose.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.randompid

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:07:44PM +0100, rich@rdrose.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any reason why this happens (consistently) on a 4.3-RELEASE machine?
>
> shrek# sysctl -w kern.randompid=1
> kern.randompid: 0 -> 0
>
> Given that I also have kern.randompid=1 in my /etc/sysctl.con, it should
> already be 1.. but it isn't...

The kern.randompid sysctl is not a boolean flag, but an estimate
of the random value that will be added to each newly created pid.
For more information, read the comments in src/sys/kern/kern_fork.c
before the sysctl_kern_randompid() function (around line 150).
The function itself ignores sysctl settings of less than 2.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Hey, out there - is it *you* reading me, or is it someone else?