Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 16:43:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Jason McGee <goodmis@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printers, Ports & Video Drivers

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Jason McGee wrote:

> I set up FreeBSD and I am having problems printing.  I verified that the=
=20
> /var/spool directory exists and the print files exist.  I did an lptest a=
nd=20
> the printer responded. When I tried lpr, I got the following:
>=20
> lpr: connect: No such file or directory
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon

You've to enable the line printer daemon (lpd) on system boot in
/etc/rc.conf.

> I have a Dell computer with a S3 Vision 968 PCI card. I want to set up X =
but=20
> I don't know which driver to install.  One other question, how can I chan=
ge=20
> the refresh rate on the monitor.  I read the instructions , but I still=
=20
> don't know how.

Try /usr/X11R6/bin/SuperProbe; it will analyze your card and suggest a
driver (probably XF86_SVGA or XF86_S3). The refreesh rate will implicitly
by set by resolution, hsync and vsync frequency when you set up X.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=