Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 18:02:46 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keeping ppp up -- need some help

Bart Trzynadlowski wrote:

> 	I have installed FreeBSD 3.1 on my system and have PPP working in
> interactive mode (not automatic mode) but if I leave it idle for just a
> small amount of time (a minute or 2 without any network activity) I find it
> silently disconnects. I thought it was related to the timeout value in the
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file but I removed that and it still occurs. Any ideas?

The other end of the ppp link might have a timeout. If the PPP log says
"idle time expired", it's your idle timer, otherwise it's more likely
to be the other end (I forget the exact message). Contact your ISP or
whoever manages the other end of the link if you think this is the case.

> 	Also, how do I configure FBSD's "mail" program? It doesn't know what the
> proper server/account info is so it doesn't work. Everytime I boot though
> it says "You have mail." and it keeps showing some message the system sent
> me over and over again.

mail just checks for mail in /var/mail/$USER. To pull mail in from a
remote POP3 server, look at fetchmail in the ports collection. This
will deliver the mail to sendmail, which will then save it in
/var/mail/$USER. If you receive mail by smtp, Sendmail or another MTA
(such as Exim, Qmail or Postfix -- all in the ports) will take care of
this, provided you set it up correctly.

I'd recommend a nicer mail program, such as Mutt (you guessed it... in
the ports collection) but everyone has their own preference :-)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk