Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 19:19:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        andrewb@mpa.oz.au
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: gateway problems

(following up to -questions)
On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 04:09:41PM +0000, andrewb@mpa.oz.au wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm currently trying to configure a 2.2.2 as a gateway box for win95
> pc's.
>
>  A bit of background: The FreeBSD box has 2 network interfaces
> ed0 (inet 203.17.42.140, netmask 255.255.255.0) & ed1 (inet
> 192.168.141.130, netmask 255.255.255.0). I can verify that these are
> working correctly.
>
> The ed0 interface is on a real world subnet (connects via router/ISDN
> to our ISP), and our ed1 is an inhouse subnet.
>
> The current config does not allow win95 pc's access to the internet,
> although the FreeBSD box does, and I have the GATEWAY="YES" option in
> rc.conf.
>
> I also am using routed, although Im not sure of the difference b/w
> that and gated, and when either should be used. I have successfully
> configured a FreeBSD 2.2.1 box as a internet gateway using ppp/ed0
> and have had no difficulties. Can somebody point me to where I am going
> wrong?

First, as Jörg said, disable routed.  You don't need to run a routing
protocol unless you have at least two different connections to the
Internet, and even then it's dubious.

Secondly, you'll need to run some kind of aliasing.  If you're running
User ppp (program ppp, interface tun0), you can do this with the
option -alias.  If you're running kernel ppp (pppd), you'll need to
run something like natd as well.  If this doesn't make too much sense,
I can give you some review documents to put through their paces.
Reply privately.

Greg