Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:31:38 +0200
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs v28 solaris compatibility

07.02.2013 14:16, Eugene M. Zheganin:
> Hi.
>
> Is the FreeBSD v28 zfs fully compatible with solaris zfs ? I need to
> switch disks between servers, these disks are SAN disks, and it's about
> 20T of data. I don't want to lose them. I am aware that our zfs is
> compatible with Solaris, but I just want to be sure, like really really
> sure. Of course I can switch back at any moment, but only if the data
> won't become corrupted.

I think one simple way to test that is to create a replication stream
for some filesystem with `zfs send` on first machine and check whether
this stream is received correctly on the second machine.

I'm mostly sure that you wouldn't lose your data, however Solaris is
staying with ZFS v28 since the last release and FreeBSD is progressing
slowly with Illumos. I'm pretty sure that 9-STABLE is already using ZFS
feats and any pool created with current STABLE would not become writable
for Solaris.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.