Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:08:55 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        claysmith@upstate.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual-booting FreeBSD and Windows95???

> More I read and learn about Unix and similar operating systems, more I
> consider installing it on my machine.  Unfortunately, I can not afford
> even a low-end 486 like the one I am using now.  Therefore, if
> installed, it will have to be on my current computer.  I can not drop my
> current system for one I am not even sure that I will ever understand.

FreeBSD will actually run on a 386, which you may be able to find
second-hand - the very minimum spec is a 386SX16 with 4MB of RAM.

> I was told that FreeBSD is capable of working alongside up to five other
> operating systems.  Is this true?  My i486, 8mb IBM PS/1 computer is
> equiped with a 850mb, software overlay-dependent drive and a 85mb drive.
> Currently, I do not have a need for the second drive; therefore, I want
> to make it my FreeBSD drive and remain using Windows95 on the other?

Yes, this is possible; the FreeBSD installation routine will offer you
the chance to install a boot manager, which will allow you to choose
which one to boot when the system starts up.

However, 85MB is rather tight and you will probably not be able to get
much more than a minimal FreeBSD installation onto it. Although the
minimal installation contains lots of useful tools - it's just not
quite as flashy as Win95 ;-)

> If possible, how can I do this?  Also, are there utilities capable of
> reading MSDOS diskettes for FreeBSD?

Yes, the mtools package contains a number of utilities for working
with DOS disks. (You'll get an option to add this and other packages
during the installation).

> P.S.  If possible, could you reply as soon as possible, so that I will
> have answer before I leave for vacation on July 1st.

Hope this gets there in time...

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk