Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:07:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      youshi10@u.washington.edu
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sun's pushing ATI/AMD to provide good drivers for Solaris, so it means th=
ey
> will have to work on the portability issue of their drivers. It is probab=
ly
> the best time to influence AMD's decision since they are going to do what
> Sun tells them. Nvidia has an easier time porting their drivers since the
> core of the driver is the same across all platforms AFAIK. Hopefully, the=
> will realize the best stratedgy is to open source their drivers, which th=
ere
> has been some hints about it recently.
>
> --=20
> Ali Mashtizadeh
> =D8=B9=D9=84=DB=8C =D9=85=D8=B4=D8=AA=DB=8C =D8=B2=D8=A7=D8=AF=D9=87
>
> On 6/15/07, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 02:03:39PM -0400, Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:
>> >  Hey everyone,
>> >
>> >  This email went out on Xorg I thought it might be useful for all of u=
>> stuck
>> >  with ATI cards. We should all show our interest in AMD helping out th=
>> BSD
>> >  community as well! Just like Nvidia has been doing!
>>
>> "Linux strategy" -- gotta love the use of the word "strategy", like
>> they're playing chess or Risk or Daisenryaku.  Yes, because supporting
>> an operating system involves "strategy".
>>
>> Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't hold your breath over the statement.
>> Yes, *absolutely* mail them and show support for the BSDs, and tell them
>> you'll be happy to beta test whatever they put out (as long as they have
>> a good feedback method for reporting those bugs; not some defunct HTML
>> form web page that sends submissions to /dev/null).
>>
>> I believe AMD/ATI cares about providing a good driver base (for Linux
>> and probably the BSDs), but no matter how many customers mail them, the
>> reality of the situation is a disappointing one: managers and executives
>> of sorts are who have say over all of this, who decide all of this, and
>> who ultimately make the statements on all of this.  As a Texan co-worker
>> of mine says, "too many chiefs, not enough indians".  nVidia has the
>> same "problem", for what it's worth.
>>
>> --
>> | Jeremy Chadwick                                    jdc at parodius.com=
 |
>> | Parodius Networking                           http://www.parodius.com/=
 |
>> | UNIX Systems Administrator                      Mountain View, CA, USA=
 |
>> | Making life hard for others since 1977.                  PGP: 4BD6C0CB=

1. This shouldn't have been sent to the hackers@ list, because it's more of=
 a discussion than a technical topic.
2. Please top post.

Disregarding those 2 comments, I have a few thoughts:

1. It doesn't matter which company you deal with, ATI/AMD, Intel, nVidia --=
 all are large corporations and swaying the interest of the execs and legal=
 depts to release corporate secrets and technologies is a big deal because =
it's their competitive edges in the marketplace.
2. Intel did opensourced their graphics drivers, and of course there's been=
 a great deal of followup discussion about nVidia and ATI doing the same th=
ing, but like Jeremy said I have little faith in the companies opensourcing=
 their drivers for at least 1-2 years because their secrets are their livel=
ihood and they don't want competitors having access to them.
3. The ATI Linux drivers quite frankly suck right now. They're currently at=
 the stage that nVidia was 3-4 years ago with Linux (working, but not on al=
l distros, quite a few hacks in place), and I wasn't impressed in the least=
 by them (hence I dumped my ATI card and purchased an nVidia one).
4. Sun is a lot different than Linux or FreeBSD. Sun is a software/hardware=
 vendor with plenty of financial collateral behind them, so their getting s=
upport faster than FreeBSD is more likely, as long as the devs are there to=
 support Solaris.
5. I did email ATI about support and apparently I sent my message to the wr=
ong section (I should have requested a driver enhancement, not filed bug --=
 I hate some online forms and their lack of clarity). But since I purchased=
 my nVidia card after the fact I never followed up on the reply I got from =
ATI. I highly doubt your message gets shuffled away into nowhere; it would =
create a bad corporate image to ignore current/potential customers ;).

Cheers,
-Garrett