Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:43:57 -1000 (HST)
From:      FreeBSD MAIL <freebsd@mauibuilt.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 using dd and cdroms

I have tried using dd on serveral 4.0 systems in order to capture an image off a cdrom.

I tried dd if=/dev/acd0a of=file.img as well as on a scsi system (/dev/cd0a) and
eovery other cd device (/dev/acd0c /cdv/racd0c /dev/cd0c ect) and I get

dd: /dev/acd0a Bad address
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferd yada yada yada

I have tried to remake the devices to to no avail.
Another strange thing is that on one of the systems with an atapi cdrom when
doing the dd it started the drive spinning and the drive never stoped unil I
pressed the eject button.

I am not sure if this is a problem with dd or what..

Just thought I'd put this out there..

Thanks for any reply

RP
puga@mauibuilt.com