Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:57:29 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Andrea Campi <andrea+freebsd_stable@webcom.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bios disk numbers and device names

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:06 +0100, Andrea Campi wrote:

> The manpage explains it all, and that's all I know as well. glabel
> specifies a transient label, i.e. it's not saved on the disk, so you
> loose it on reboot or if the disk goes away.

Glabel can create both transient and permanent labels: "glabel create
label provider" is transient; "glabel label label provider" is
permanent.  In the latter case, the label metadata is stored in the last
sector of "provider."  If geom_label is built into the kernel, or loaded
as a kernel module at boot (e.g., via /boot/loader.conf) then labelled
providers will be automagically discovered and /dev/label/... entries
created during boot.  In this way, devices can be given logical labels
that will stick with them when they move around.

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu