Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:21:53 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        dave@dogwood.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, rb@gid.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > I'm betting you won't be able to get away with distributing the
> > > sources, no matter how much you improve it, though there is nothing
> > > that actually says you can't (most likely, they will redefine
> > > "significant", as necessary, to prevent you from doing so).
> >
> > Well, could there be any more significat change (other than completele
> > and utterly changing it to something another) than chaning it to work in
> > another windowing environment?
>
> I'm betting (above) that Microsoft would deem that "not significant",
> since it would prevent you from doing something they'd prefer you don't
> do (make their give-away code run on a platform you don't have to buy
> from them: the point of "give-away" code is to encourage use of their
> platforms).
>
> Also, it's "not significant" because it's a port to a platform which
> *should* already support the Microsoft interfaces, because by definition,
> Microsoft interfaces lead the industry and should be implemented on all
> platforms by you programmers from the unwashed masses.

Well, there might yes be only one way to show it significantly changed -

	1) Diff says that over 50% of the text is different
	2) It no more is drop in (or easily drop in) replacement for MFC

In case 2) the purpose of doing anything to the MFC is defeated and you
will be allowed to distribute it. The trick is doing 1) while remaining a
drop-in replacement is the "right" way to go. It should be duable
considering the differences between X and win32.

	Sander