Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2007 00:27:03 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.Org, jeremie@le-hen.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/116416: [patch] per-jail rc.conf(5) style configuration file in /etc/jail/

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Mike Makonnen wrote:

> I like this patch, especially the second revision. I think people who
> run a very large number of jails will appreciate it. However, I'd like
> to see a few changes made:

Hi, before you reinvent the wheel, I'd like you to take a look at my
ezjail[1] project. I've done much of the work more than two years ago and
would call the results stable and in wide use.

I'd be too happy to just use /etc/jail.d as config directory for jails, as
I do today with /usr/local/etc/ezjail. However, if you write config files
the right way, there is no need to throw awk on them, just source them.

Usign an rcorder style scheme on config files allows starting jails in a
predefined order.

Allowing some pre-start commands to mount root dirs or attach certain
disc based memory images would be helpful, too.

I'd hate to see diverging developments on jail configs so please do not
rush into some sub-optimal decisions.

Regards

   erdgeist

[1] http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/ezjail/