Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:35:19 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), michaelh@cet.co.jp, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

> > It's like making a loop that gets called once at initialization time 50%
> > faster while you leave the sorting algorithm which takes up 95% of CPU
> > time alone.  It's doesn't buy you anything but a warm fuzzy feeling.
>
> This is *not* an issue of "optimizing the boot code".
>
> This *is* an issue of removing the potential for developer checkin
> conflict, so that the only margin for error is that of the developer
> who disobeys protocol.

But we don't have a problem with checkin conflict.  It's simply a
non-problem.  If it ain't broke, don't spend alot of time fixing it.

How many times do I have to say this?

> The net results are that the claim "merge cascade failure" is no
> longer a valid excude for an unbuildable tree.  If Jim-Bob makes
> the tree unbuildable, it's obvious that Jim-Bob is a protocol
> violator.  If he does this a lot, then there should probably be
> a policy enforcement decision by "the grantors of tree access"
> to prevent future offenses.

It's obvious now who breaks the tree.  We don't need CVS to tell us
that.

> The intended effect is a buildable tree and identifiable culprits
> in the case of a non-buildable tree.

Since it won't help the former and the latter is already a known, what's
the point?

Jim-Bob and John-Boy *don't* make changes to the tree simulateously.  I
suppose if we had another couple hundred committers we might have this
problem, but we don't.

CVS == Concurent Versions System

It allows concurrent access to the tree my multiple-writers *BY DESIGN*.

It's NOT BROKEN anywhere except in your mind.  It *WON'T* fix any
problems that are of any significance in the FreeBSD build tree.

Nate