Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:41:43 -0600
From:      "David G . Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        Jeff Gentry <freebsd@hexdump.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache root exploitable?

Jeff Gentry just mooed:
> I'm a bit confused following all these messages, especially with that
> expoit script someone sent out "Apache exploitable?".  Is this thing root
> exploitable?  Reading the code sent out in the aforementioned thread it
> sounds as if it might be but I was not certain.

  It's not _root_ exploitable unless you run Apache as root.

  If you do that, you're asking for it anyway.

  It may or may not be remotely exploitable.  It looks a lot more
exploitable than it did a few days ago. :)  Regardless, you should:

> Is there a workaround outside of closing off Apache?

  Upgrade to 1.3.26 or 2.0.39.

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com