Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:47:57 -0500
From:      Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
To:        mike <mike@coloradosurf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maildirs [OT?]

I know of two ways to go - your mileage may vary.

1) I symlinked /var/mail to /usr/mail so I could take advantage of the disk
space in /usr w/o having to screw around with option 2...  ie, ln
/var/mail/joe -> /usr/mail/joe

or

2) recompile the mail substem.  There's a file in there that defines
/var/mail as the system mail dir.  You can change it to what you like,
recompile everything and you're good.  I believe the source files in
question are in src/mail .

Now, I've seen posts of people having trouble doing the symlink thing.
It's worked fine for me for quite some time but maybe I got lucky.

I can also tell you that if you try and define $MAIL as something other
than /var/mail/username it will take your changes and then continue to dump
mail into /var/mail/username regardless.  To get around that, you must
recompile the mail system per above.

Eric Stanfield, K2Access
Keno Kozie Associates
222 N LaSalle #1500
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 332-3000

                    mike
                    <mike@coloradosurf.        To:     freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
                    com>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Maildirs [OT?]
                    owner-freebsd-isp@F
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    09/26/01 03:34 PM

Sorry if this should've gone to -questions. Wasn't sure...

My question is about the mail dir (where the local delivery agent puts
incoming mail). It branches off into 'where does the $MAIL variable
come from' (and I'm pretty sure it isn't from under the cabbage patch).

Does it come from /etc/login.conf ? Is it hidden in a conf file some
where? In Ted Middlestadt's book, he sez that FreeBSD puts its mail
in /var/mail. This is familiar. How does one utilize the "feature" of
putting mail into something like $HOME/mail.

I use sendmail/procmail/cucipop for my users.

The real question:

Is the $MAILDIR specific to each program and therefore supported by
certain MTA's LDA's and pop3 servers or is it determined somewhere
in the OS and overridden by some of these programs?

Grateful for any clues, direction, man pages, reference material, etc.

mike