Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 10:30:38 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

> > cat bin.* | gzip -t - is nice and easy, but requires a fully
> > functioning Unix box...
>
> I was thinking of just 'cksum bin.*' since I would *assume* that
> the cksums, once correct, would indicate a "good" file...

Actually, now that I think about it, I vaguely remember
FreeBSD-1.0.2 doing this before extracting them.  (On the other
hand, it also required you to copy everything onto the hard disk
from floppies, extract them by hand and reboot twice, so let's not
get too nostalgic :-)

I can see problems fitting this into the download-and-extract-on-the-fly
scheme of things.  For instance, if you're downloading over a modem,
and bin.aa is corrupted, would you really want to have to wait until
everything up to bin.cx has come down before finding it out?
(Especially if it's some sort of systematic error and every file
you've spent the last two hours downloading is corrupt...)

> > Although I believe both these utilities have been ported to DOS.
> > Perhaps someone with the time and inclination could knock up a
> > batch file to do this?  gzip.exe is already on the CDROM and I
> > don't see any reason why cat.exe couldn't be added.
>
> how about:
> 	cksum *.* > fudge
> 	comp fudge goodsums.lst
> but, of course, that would require the user to have *all* the
> files listed in "goodsums.lst" online.  Also, you'd have to create

Or have a separate checksum file for each dist.

> an entry for goodsums.lst in the goodsums.lst file itself!  And,
> since DOS will create fudge before completely expanding the *.*
> in the cksum command, you need to take it into consideration, also.

Or put fudge and goodsums.lst in a different directory?