Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:31:07 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "The competition"

At 10:40 PM 3/13/97 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> Full page ad in Sysadmin Magazine.  I wish we could afford that.  *sigh*
>
>We could, actually.  It's not as hard as you think.

The last time my corporation paid for a similar ad (full page in a
reasonably specialized trade magazine) I seem to remember paying about
$15k.  Unless we can get them to give us an _extremely_ cheap ad, I can't
see how we can afford it if we can't even afford to replace spatter :-(

>The problem is simply that we don't have the kind of marketing manager who
>could come up with an advert like that and see it through to film and
>placement.
>It's definitely not one of my skills, and I know of no one in the
>project or at Walnut Creek CDROM who would be capable of putting
>together an advert polished enough to be worthy of a full pager in any
>magazine.

I have people here capable of doing the graphics/layout part, but I doubt I
could get them to volunteer time to something they've barely heard of (even
if they actually are using FreeBSD every day by accessing our server).
Besides, that was a damn good text.  We'd need somebody that both could
come up with that kind of idea, have the technical insight, and can polish
it off that way.  My father have worked with writing ad copy, but don't
have the technical side.

>Sad but true.  I wish advertising people were the types to volunteer
>their time for such things, but that seems not to be the case so
>far. :(

The problem isn't that you can't get advertising people to volunteer for
anything; that isn't too hard.  The problem is to get advertising people to
volunteer for doing things with FreeBSD; FreeBSD is technical, and
advertising people are not. (Or at least those that I know)

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org