Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:04:42 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to get the source tree

--------------enig4D7F50DF9EED6AA5016ED106

On 12/12/2011 10:32, Man Chan wrote:
> I had tried to obtain the source tree of my system (8.2 release) this a=
fternoon and feel miss about the command cvs.
> I use the following.
> cvs get -rRELENG_8_2 ports  after several minutes only the CVS is in th=
e /usr/ports and nothing else. I search the handbook and the internet for=
 the answer but no useful answer.  Can anyone tell me what is the correct=
 command (cvs)  to get the source and keep it up to date.  Thanks.

RELENG_8_2 is not a tag used on the ports.  It only applies to the
system sources.

Also, there isn't a version of the ports specifically for 8.2-RELEASE.
All there is, is a tag that marked the state of the ports tree at the
time the 8.2-RELEASE media were created.  That's mostly for bookkeeping
purposes and not a coded hint that these are the ports you are looking fo=
r.

Seriously, just check out the HEAD revision of the ports.  It has all
the updates and fixes for problems that have been discovered since 8.2
came out.  Usually for values of 'check out' that translate to 'use csup
or portsnap to download' as that's a lot more efficient (not to say
faster) than using plain cvs(1).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20