Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:38:27 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: possible patch for implementing split DNS

Julian Elischer wrote:

> John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
>> Julian Elischer wrote this message on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:33 -0700:
>>

>>> ALmost all other services (e.g. inetd,natd,sshd, etc.etc.) allow you
>>> to specify a different config file
>>> so that you can supply different services to theinside and outside
>>> but it all falls appart
>>> if they still are forced to use the same DNS server and can not
>>> provide a differentiated service
>>> for that reason.
>>>

>> Why not put one of the two in side a jail (I think someone else
>> mentioned
>> this), or chroot'd environment where it can pick up a different
>> resolv.conf?
>>

> The very mail you quoted says that I can not put it inside a jail.
> a chroot is slightly less problematical except that they do need to
> share filesystems.
> To make it fully work I need to have /etc nearly all shared along with
> a lot more but I need
> to have different /etc/resolv.conf

to expand on this.. imagine a set of 20 or so processes with about 10 or so
channels of communication between each pair of processes,
utilising unix domain sockets,  lots  of shared files, ip sockets and
sysV opts.
I want some of this rats nest of processes to use a different name
server but not all of them,
without completely breaking any of the thousands of not-so-obvious
connections.
puting them in a chroot or a jail gives me so many possible failure
points my head spins.

just asking the rsolver to ask a different server seems the simple and
less error prone path.
I would ask the security crew to think about this too as DNS is
important to get right for security,
but I believe it can be done in such a way that it remains secure..
possibly, by insisting that it remains in /etc but specifying only the
name portion. (for example).