Date:      Mon,  3 Aug 1998 10:24:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        "Andrew Reilly" <reilly@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast FFT routines with source?

Andrew Reilly writes:
 > On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 01:42:04AM -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:
 > > On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 02:37:58PM +0800, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth wrote:
 > > >I'm part way through porting this company's seismic data processing code to
 > > >FreeBSD and have got most things sorted out except for the fact that there
 > > >doesn't seem to be any carefully optimised fft routines available. I do have
 > > >the  fftpack as found in ports, but I was wondering if there was anything
 > > >faster than taht available with source.
 > > >
 > > >Oh, and if anyone knows where to find the source of X widgets that'll display
 > > >seismic traces, power spectrums and the like, I'd be most grateful.
 > >

 > > My father, a math and computer science professor, suggested "Numerical
 > > Recipies", by Press, et al.
 >
 > No, Numerical Recipes is not even a little bit optimised, and
 > although the Fortran version is OK, the C version is horrible,
 > being a translitteration from the Fortran version, for the most
 > part.  The hackery to get Fortran-style offset-1 array indexing is
 > particularly nasty.

Had the same feelings abouot NR. More of an recipe "how to write a
fft (... and introduce maximal confusion by strange indexing)".

 > The other suggestions made here are all good sources of FFT code.
 > Be aware that the fftw code has a particularly curly licence.

Hm ... what do you mean ?

neuron:~/tmp10/fftw-1.3> cat ./COPYRIGHT
/*
 * Copyright (c) 1997,1998 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 *
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA
 *
 */
neuron:~/tmp10/fftw-1.3>

The GPL-v2 is included in the file ./COPYING

So what's your point ?

Malte.