Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 23:25:44 -0400
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do I need a POP server for this?

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 Dan Langille wrote:

> If I install qpopper, will the log messages [which
> freebsd generates] arrive at that pop server?

If I understand your question to read "Will the file /var/log/messages
arrive at that pop server?" the answer is no.  If you are asking if the
daily run message, weekly run message, etc. be available for retrieval
from the pop server the answer is _yes_.  What a pop server does
is make mail on the server available to a pop client.  To retrieve root's
mail you will have to;
1) configure your pop client (Pegagus) to use your FreeBSD box as
the pop server.
2) log onto your NT box as root and retrieve root's mail, or use a
.forward file to forward root's mail to your account on the FreeBSD
box and then retrieve the mail as you.

If you want to get the /var/log/messages file via email regularly you will
have to write a script to send it.

> I'm assuming that I'll be able to read from that POP server from my NT box.  Will I
> need to telnet with the solution you are suggesting?

You will be able to get your mail from the FreeBSD box the same wayyou get mail from your
ISP.  Telnet will not be necessary.

We need to move this conversation to questions since we have gone
beyond "where do I find out how to do this?"

Toby