Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 00:06:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <msch@snafu.de>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <Peter.Sauerland@siemens.com>, <iss@cert.siemens.de>
Subject:   Re: TCP Sequence-Prediction (4.5-PRE)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Matthew Whelan wrote:

> If you've CVSup'd within the last 3 weeks (I suspect you must have done to
> have 4.5-PRE ;p), you should have:
>
>  * $FreeBSD: src/sys/netinet/tcp_subr.c,v 1.73.2.23 2001/12/14 20:21:12
> jlemon Exp $
>
> which appears now to have all the code for ISN generation (start looking at
> line 1112 - does playing with the two sysctl's mentioned make any difference
> to what ISS says? Looks like the isn_reseed_interval is only used if
> strict_rfc1948 is not set)
>
> Matthew

Guys, ISN generation has been secure since 4.3-release, though it has gone
through a few revisions since then.  If ISS disagrees, it is what should
be inspected, not our ISN generation code.  Changing the various sysctls
is not going to change the output in any fashion that is noticeable to
most people.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack