Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:39:59 +1200
From:      Mark Ibell <marki@ix.net.nz>
To:        Jeremy Spring <jeremy@xmen.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd

Jeremy Spring wrote:

> I am running 2.2.6 with pppd and am trying to get a small lan connected to
> the inet via ppp dialup.  I as the gateway can ping the computers on the
> lan and the inet, and the lan can ping me, but the lan can't get to the
> inet.
>
> I have enabled 'gateway_enable=yes' and 'default_router=localhost'
> in rc.conf (might this be wrong?).

You should keep default_router="NO"

> I have setup ipfw rules, as follows:
>         65533 divert natd ip from any to any via ed0
>         65534 allow ip from any to any,
>
> and I have run 'natd -n ppp0'.

You want natd to alias packets over ppp0. If you thing about it, it
should make sense.
Therefore just change 'via ed0' to 'via ppp0'. Also unless you have a
static ip address
it might be best to include a -dynamic switch to natd to save having to
restart it every
time you dial. So you'll want to use 'natd -dynamic -n ppp0'. That
should get you started.

Good luck,

  Mark