Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:57:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@lochnagar.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   verifying sources with cvsup...

Hi.  I keep up-to-date with stable using cvsup.  Recently I suffered
some fs corruption and a bunch of files in /usr/src and /usr/ports got
screwed up.  When I next run cvsup, will it automatically find the bad
files and get new copies of them?  This is what the manpage says:

     For efficiency, cvsup maintains a bookkeeping file for each collection,
     called the list file.  The list file contains information about which
     files and revisions the client currently possesses.  It also contains in-
     formation used for verifying that the list file is consistent with the
     actual files in the client's tree.

     The list file is not strictly necessary.  If it is deleted, or becomes
     inconsistent with the actual client files, cvsup falls back upon a less
     efficient method of identifying the client's files and performing its up-
     dates.  Depending on CVSup 's mode of operation, the fallback method em-
     ploys time stamps, checksums, or analysis of RCS files.

Unfortunately, I don't know what "mode of operation" my cvsup is
using.  I'm hoping that I can just delete the list files and cvsup
will do something like compare md5 checksums of all my files against
the archive.

Thanks,
David