Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 15:20:36 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Paul MacKenzie <elephant@cgocable.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Script for dhcp-2.0b1p10 for FREEBSD 2.2.5

Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Paul MacKenzie wrote:
> > 1) the dhclient-script for FREEBSD in /etc has an error in it... for
> > freebsd right from the start - it says expected end of file on line xxx. I
> > tried to modify it but am not sure if I correctly did so
>
> Well my laptop is at home right now but it is happily using the ISC
> dhcp client.  Same release.  No errors reported.  dhclient-script
> does not get run directly, it is called by dhclient.

	*Nod* You shouldn't have to modify the script at all.

> > 2) the dhclient.conf file does not exist. I copied the file from the
> > install directory and tried to manually change it, but I had no real success..
>
> Aside from some rather obvious changes (domain search) the example
> should work in most cases.

	I don't remember if I had to copy the file by hand or not. Did you
install the port?  You might give that a try if you didn't already.

> Make sure you have dhclient starting up at boot time and have
> dhclient-script and dhclient.conf in /etc

	I learned a nifty trick the other day. Of course it's something that's
been there all along, but it's new to me. :)  In /etc/rc.network there
are hooks at the beginning of the file to run scripts of the format
/etc/start_if.${ifn} where $ifn is an interface number defined in
"network_interfaces" in /etc/rc.conf. So, I put the following script in
/etc/start_if.ep0:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/sbin/dhclient ep0

This way I can use the "normal" network configuration options in
/etc/rc.conf and not have to modify rc.network or rc.local for standard
items.

	I do have a patch for the script that allows you to set your hostname
from dhcp if you need to. Mail me privately if you need it.

Good luck,

Doug