Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:00:34 +0000
From:      nik@blueberry.co.uk (Nik Clayton)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, george@lincc.lincc.lib.or.us
Subject:   Re: Time Server Setup - xntpd

All this talk of NTP has got me using it, and I'm trying to wrap my head
around some of the issues involved. I'm not 100% sure I fully understand
what's going on:

If my reading of the man pages and /etc/rc is correct, then I have two
options if I want to keep accurate time on my machines, and have access to
a time server somewhere (which I do).

1. I can run timed(8) at startup, which will slowly synchronise my clock to
   the master time server.

2. I can run a combination of tickadj(8) to set the optimum value for
   tickadj in the kernel, then I can run ntpdate(8) to set the initial
   date and time to a correct value, and finally I run xntpd(8) to keep
   the clock in sync with the master server.

And these two approaches are mutually exclusive.

I've done some hunting around the web on this, and found the following,
which have helped:

    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/
    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ntp.html
    http://www.cstv.to.cnr.it/toi/uk/timesync.html#NTP
    http://www.cstv.to.cnr.it/toi/uk/ntp.html

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                  Blueberry New Media                ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/     1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk       London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[     Where am I going?  And what am I doing in this handbasket?     ]ENTP