Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 18:42:03 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Large installations of FreeBSD?

> Hello FreeBSD hackers.  I'm the one that asked about "case for
> FreeBSD" help a while ago...well I'm still fighting for my life
> against a large number of WS and Linux proponents.
>
> Anyway, I have a question for you.  Are any of you using FreeBSD in a
> large community?  By large, I mean:
>
> (1) The machine is "large", i.e., lots of memory/disk, large number of
>     users/ftp/http connections (e.g., wcarchive, Brian Tao's www site)

Yup. We are large in this way. I am a Senior Network Engineer for an
internet providor in South Africa. Our news/nameserver is a FreeBSD box,
and it has a feed of _ALL_ the nesgroups we can find (Including clari.*!).

We are running INN, and we both redistrubute bulk news to client sites and
offer nnrp to dial-in users around the country.

The machine has 64MB of RAM, 6GB of Disk space on 4 SCSI disks,
1 Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller, and the CPU is a 486DX2/66.

Over this weekend I am going to make it the HTTP/FTP site for our domain
too, as I find most of the time, in spite of an _extremely_ busy console
log, the machine is just ticking over (Load averages << 1).

This what you want?

Mark

--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa