Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:39:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sharing a SCSI bus between some computers

Hello,

> I believe that SGI's xfs is capable of handling shared-storage setups...
After Dan's mail I would think that only some kind of signalling would
needed to accomplish the task of one RW and multiple RO machines using the
same SCSI storage. This could be done in the hardware and in the software.

All I could get on this topic is the problem of multiple RW machines, for
which the Linux-specific GFS[1] used the SCSI locking feature of the
individual devices and then implemented some kind of external locking,
other distributed filesystems did similar methods.

How difficult would be to implement this, either into the recently
announced GEOM or some other layers?

Thanks,

[1]: http://www.sistina.com/products_gfs.htm

----------[ Free Software ISOs - http://www.fsn.hu/?f=download ]----------